Friday, February 4, 2011

Pain and Road Signs

Miles Run:21.30
Miles Biked:65.75
Total Miles:87.05
Days to Rainier:161
Summit Team:5.55
Aspirin Tablets:15

Running today after biking. Obviously this is a bad idea. So I fatigued my right foot, then pushed through the pain until it failed. Now I'm on aspirin. Reminds me of a song by the White Stripes:
Well strip the bark right off a tree and just hand it this way,
Don't even need a drink of water to make the headache go away
In Europe, a common folk remedy was to chew Willow tree bark because it would reduce pain and reduce fevers. Later researchers discovered acetylsalicylic acid (yeah I had to look up the spelling, chemistry would have been my other major if I had more time, but with only two years of chemistry my memory failed me). The foot thing will be better soon, otherwise my exorcism...I mean exercise schedule will be shot.
Anyway, the best part of the day came this evening. I hung out with my community group, and talked with the guys about what we are all going through and what the gospel means in the midst of our circumstances. I shared just how much I have been seeing my arrogance, and the truth that I must repent of it otherwise why would God honor the proud, "Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted. Matt 23:12" I also have been not trusting that all I need to do is worship well and Jesus will take care of the little things, you know like life.
Next us men watched Payback (with Mel Gibson). It was sweet. Some notable quotes from the movie:
GSW: that's what the hospitals call it: gunshot wound. Doctor has to report it to the police. That makes it hard for guys in my line to get what I call, quality health care.
Not many people know what their life's worth is. I do. Seventy grand. That's what they took from me. And that's what I was going to get back.
We went for breakfast in Canada. We made a deal; if she'd stop hookin', I'd stop shooting people...Maybe we were aiming high.
It was a great story of betrayal, opposition, a cunning plan, and ultimately sweet toe-tapping redemption (the children's rhyme "this little Piggy went to market" will take on new meaning when you see this flick).
Good stuff.
So to close out this post, I'm announcing the launch of a new blog: "Josh's Road Signs". It will be dedicated to showcasing all of my collected notes and commentaries on sermons, good books, and scripture. These avenues for greater maturity are much like signs pointing me down one road but not another, telling me to slow and watch for falling rocks, to downshift on steep grades, to watch for crossing wildlife, and the like. We all should be looking for these indicators in our life. Keep your eyes open and if you want to see the signs along my road check our the NEW BLOG. Less than 170 days to Rainier...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time.