Saturday, January 29, 2011

Miles Run:14.45
Miles Biked:45.49
Total Miles:59.94
Days to Rainier:198
Summit Team:4.5
Aspirin Tablets:10

We all know people who just like the sound of their own voice. Well now you can say that you know someone who likes the sound of their own typing. It's late and I am trying to clear my thoughts, so please give me a mulligan on this post.

My philosophy of running is somewhat unconventional. My current running schedule alternates 3 and 4 miles runs. I try to fit in 1 20+ mile bike ride and 3 runs each week with matching doses of aspirin. During my runs, I alternate Toe Running (here I run from toe point to toe point never letting my heel drop from stride to stride) and conventional Heel-toe Running. Each method lasts for 0.6 miles and is followed by my own transitional period variant. You see when I Toe Run, my calf muscles are taking a beating and to go straight from that to the conventional stride (or vice versa) would cause unnecessary stress. So each 0.6 miles (determined using Google Maps), I take a 200ft break during which I...um...to use a little jargon I picked up in grad school, "I iteratively follow a trend-specific stochastic path." If any of you have ever studied cointegrated series then this all makes sen...well no it doesn't...well my transitions follow a so called "random walk" or as my humorous Time Series Professor C. J. Kim calls it, "A drunken walk." Seriously, I intentionally weave and lean and stop and start several times to stretch each primary lower leg tendon to reduce the likelihood of a strained ligament or excessive build up of lactic acid. You should see me; I look ridiculous. But that's because I am ridiculous.
On my runs, I am constantly adjusting my tempo to prevent my diaphragm from "red-lining". I intentionally stress my breathing to bring myself to the point where the burning stitch in my side is almost about to start, then I hold that tempo. Breath control is vital as I measure each breath to provide just enough oxygen; I try never to gulp or take a deep breath but at the same time not take too many shallow breaths because then my diaphragm will fatigue too quickly. For the last half mile, I increase my tempo to the point where the stitch starts to burn. Then I take my last transitional period and stretch everything out while I cool down.
This method for training is all still in flux, and I welcome any new insights. But it has worked for me so far, I can feel my legs getting stronger and the day-after pain is decreasing. Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time.